This introduction to cross-country skiing emphasizes a healthy lifestyle and a love of the outdoors. As children work through levels, they focus on technique, fitness and speed, guided by Cross Country Canada’s Jackrabbit resources.
AGE: 6 to 9 year old (Beginners welcome at any age)
WHEN: Saturdays 1-2:30pm
DURATION: 10 weeks starting Jan 7
FEE: $65 + LNSC Membership ($65 for children 6 to 18 years old) available on zone4
RENTALS: Rentals will be available at a cost of $75 per set for program participants only in the 2022-2023 season. Season rentals can be taken home for a 200% deposit (cash or cheque). Gear day Dec 17 – watch your email for details.
The Jackrabbit Program is designed for the “FUNdamentals” stage of development (children 6-9 years of age). The objective is for children to learn basic cross-country ski skills (both classic and skating) and to instill a lifelong interest in the sport, thereby enhancing their quality of life and health.
Goals of this program:
- Encourage FUN and participation,
- Develop ABC’s. Agility, Balance, Coordination and speed.
- Frequent cross-country skiing during the season.
- Good technique habits developed through repeated practice using the Jackrabbit program awards
- Utilize games and ski playgrounds to develop technique, speed skills and fitness.
- Well structured programs.
- Develop linear, lateral and multi directional speed.
- Develop a team/social atmosphere.
- Introduce competition in a team environment whenever possible.
- Encourage inter-club social, skill and fitness orientated ski activities e.g. camps.
Wonder what your children should be wearing, this guide Dressing for Cross Country Skiing may help
Volunteering is an important part of any amateur sport. In order to continue to allow our club to grow and improve we need the support of all our members. Use this link to see volunteering opportunities